Read more about the impact of the Nebraska Women in Agriculture Conference in the 2011-2017 Comprehensive Report.
2023 Women in Ag Conference
CULTIVATING CONFIDENCE: Kiah Twisselman Burchett - Motivational Speaker, Life Coach, and Podcaster
- Workbook: use the passcode 'findjoy' to download.
AMBIGUOUS LOSS AND AGRICULTURE: Michelle Krehbiel, Ph.D. - Extension Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
IDENTIFYING AND DEALING WITH THE BARRIERS TO FARM/RANCH TRANSITION OR SUCCESSION: Allan Vyhnalek - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
WHICH ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE IS RIGHT FOR ME?: Mary Faber, MBA - Owner, Mary T Faber Solutions and Jessica Groskopf - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
FAMILY HARMONY THROUGH TRANSITION PLANNING: Lisa Quist - Regional Vice President, Land as Your Legacy, Nationwide Retirement Institute
ARE CARBON CREDITS A FIT FOR YOUR FARM?: Aaron Nygren - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (handouts available after the conclusion of the conference.)
THE ODYSSEY OF THE OVIDUCT: TL Meyer - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
WHAT'S YOUR COST OF PRODUCTION & BREAKEVEN PRICES?: FOR BEGINNERS: Glennis McClure - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
USING FLEXIBLE CASH LEASES TO MANAGE RISK AND INCREASE PROFITABILITY IN 2023: Jim Jansen - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
GENERATE RELIABLE RESEARCH-BASED INFORMATION FOR YOUR FARM BY DOING ON-FARM RESEARCH: Laura Thompson - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
CULINARY HACKS TO MAKE THE HEALTHY CHOICE THE EASY CHOICE: Hannah Guenther - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
WHAT'S YOUR COST OF PRODUCTION AND YOUR BREAKEVEN PRICES? ADVANCED: Glennis McClure - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
101 SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS GUARANTEED TO DELIGHT YOUR INSURANCE PROVIDER: Jill Vansickle - Midwest Region Risk Control Consultant, Gallagher
FIRE UP YOUR FARM AND FAMILY FINANCES!: Paul Stoddard - Senior Lecturer, University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign (handouts available after the conclusion of the conference.)
Webinar version linked here.
BEEF NUTRITION MADE SIMPLE: Alfredo DiCostanzo, Ph.D. - Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
HOW TO ADVOCATE FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD CARE AND EDUCATION IN RURAL COMMUNITIES: Kara Ficke - Campaign Manager, We Care for Kids, and Holly Hatton-Bowers, Ph.D. - Extension Specialist, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
FARM TRANSITION-AN ATTORNEY'S PERSPECTIVE: Brittney Holley, J.D. – Attorney, Cline Williams Wright Johnson & Oldfather, LLP
MANAGING DIVERSE TALENTS AND PERSPECTIVES BOTH IN PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL CONTEXTS: Lindsay Hastings, Ph.D. - Extension Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
TAKE THE INTIMIDATION OUT OF GRAIN MARKETING: Britany Wondercheck - Farm Girl Next Door, Founder
RISK SCENARIO PLANNING: Jay Parsons, Ph.D. - Extension Specialist, University of Nebraska (handouts available after the conclusion of the conference.)
MANAGING THE RISK OF CONSERVATION IMPLEMENTATION: Kalee Olson - Policy Associate, Center for Rural Affairs
FARM TRANSITION-AN ATTORNEY'S PERSPECTIVE: Brittney Holley, J.D. – Attorney, Cline Williams Wright Johnson & Oldfather, LLP: repeat session. See materials from session 4.
2022 Herd That! Conference Materials
Ready to transition your operation to the next generation? Our pre-conference session will offer tools and strategies to effectively develop a transition plan for your farm or ranch. Extension Educator Allan Vyhnalek and Attorney Pamela Epp Olsen will discuss common mistakes, essential considerations, and tools available to farm and ranch families. Don’t miss this opportunity to start your transition journey.
See Allan's handouts here.
See Pamela's handouts here.
Workshop Session 1:
- Managing Drought Amid a Changing Cattle Cycle ShayLe Stewart - Livestock Market Analyst, DTN - Severe drought conditions have led thousands of U.S. cow-calf producers to cull their cowherds more aggressively than many would have liked over the last two years. But before determining what drought strategy to deploy, cattlemen need to understand where the cattle market sits in its current cycle. Understanding both the visible and invisible costs to destocking is crucial as the economic impact of drought-related destocking can affect a ranch for the next seven to ten years. See handout here.
- Chute Safety Halden Clark, DVM - Health Stewardship Veterinarian, University of Nebraska-Lincoln A veterinarian's perspective on several danger zones encountered while processing cattle through a chute and several methods intended to reduce risks to yourself and the people around you while working cattle in these systems. See handout here.
- Prescribed Fire: Benefits and Basics Ryan Benjamin - Beef Systems Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Fire was a major factor in shaping the Great Plains grasslands, interacting with climate, and grazing animals. These fires attracted grazers, leaving unburned areas to accumulate fuel and eventually burn, effectively suppressing woody vegetation throughout the Great Plains. Prescribed burning is one of the cheapest tools for controlling eastern red cedar and is one way to create habitat for different wildlife species, increase herbage production and nutritive quality, and change plant species composition. In Nebraska, a permit is required to implement open range burning and requires a burn plan be submitted to the local fire chief. This plan is a valuable tool for preparing for a burn by addressing weather, equipment, and personnel needs for a burn. Like any fire prescribed burns can be dangerous and require experience and training to execute safely. Understanding the interaction between weather, fuels, and topography and their influence on fire behavior is essential to planning and conducting a prescribed burn. See handout here.
- Workshop Session 2:
- You Said Profits? What Herding and Risk Management Have in Common… Elliott Dennis, Ph.D. Livestock Marketing Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Livestock requires constant management and attention … so does the financial position of your operation. Simple and easy-to-use risk management tools are introduced that are available to use for both small and large cow-calf and feedlots. We will also discuss when is the best time for operations to use these tools and recent government programs that pay you to use risk management tools. Wanting your operation to be viable now and in the next generation? Then this workshop is a must. Making the Most of Cull Cow Markets Karla Wilke, Ph.D. - Range Management Cow/Calf Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln About 20% of the gross income from a ranching operation comes from the sale of cull cows. Moreover, cow depreciation, which is often a hidden cost, is the second largest expense after feed for the cowherd. This presentation addresses managing cull cows to improve their salvage value, feeding and marketing options for cull cows, sale barn cull cow lingo, and how cull cows can fit into different operations with a variety of resources. See handout here
- Making the Most of Cull Cow Markets with Karla Wilke, Ph.D., Range Management, Cow/Calf Specialist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - About 20% of the gross income from a ranching operation comes from the sale of cull cows. Moreover, cow depreciation, which is often a hidden cost, is the second largest expense after feed for the cowherd. This presentation addresses managing cull cows to improve their salvage value, feeding and marketing options for cull cows, sale barn cull cow lingo, and how cull cows can fit into different operations with a variety of resources. See handout here.
- Recognizing Manure’s Full Potential Value Leslie Johnson, Animal Manure Management Extension Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - In this interactive workshop, participants will reveal manure’s full potential by discovering the $$ and intrinsic value. We will get our hands dirty to learn proper techniques for manure sampling for nutrient analysis, understand the results of said analysis, and discover how to determine manure application rate. Building on these concepts, participants will then be able to calculate the $$ value of manure nutrients on agricultural land and have talking points for selling the use of manure over commercial fertilizer by highlighting manure’s ability to build soil health. No actual manure will be used, keeping the smell to a minimum and the fun and learning at a maximum. See handout here.
- Workshop Session 3:
- It Costs How Much? Aaron Berger - Beef Systems Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Annual cow costs in Nebraska and other states continue to shoot up! Understanding the three major costs of cow-calf production and strategies to manage them can help producers identify ways to improve their costs of production. See handout here.
- Designing Flexible Grazingland Leases Jim Jansen - Agricultural Economist, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Grazing land in Nebraska typically rents on a per acre or head basis. Renting for a fixed amount each grazing season does not allow for the rate to respond to weather conditions or market prices for livestock. Flexing grazing land rent to reflect changes in the weather, livestock prices, or other factors more equitably adjusts the lease rate to account for these forces. This presentation covers current rental trends in Nebraska grazing land and examples of flexible leases for pasture or range. See handout here.
- Veterinary 911: What’s the Emergency? Lindsay Waechter-Mead, DVM - Beef Systems Educator, University of Nebraska-Lincoln - In this workshop, you will learn what livestock conditions require immediate attention and which ones can wait until morning. Learn how to handle emergencies and what supplies to have in your Livestock First Aid kit. See handout here.
- This material is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2021-70027-34694.
2022 Women in Ag Conference
- Glennis McClure and Erin Laborie- 2021-2022 Nebraska Farmland Values
- Katie Dilse - Keynote Presentation
- Dave Nelson - Retirement Planning
- Thomas Fehringer - Estate Planning
- Terrin Williams - Mediation
- Dr. Becky Funk - Calving
- Terryn Drieling - Enneagram
- Britany Wondercheck - Grain Marketing 101
- Dr. Lindsay Waechter-Mead - Colostrum 101
- Tara Janda, Cassidy Thompson, Melissa Elstermeier - Cost of Production
- Allan Vyhnalek - Farm Succession
- Naomi Blohm - Grain Markets
- UNL Extension - Farm Stress
2021 Conference was virtual
- Dave Aiken - 2020 Property Tax Update
- Andrea Basche - Collaboration in Conservation: Women Landowners and Their Tenants
- Aaron Berger - Cow Records and Cost of Production: Keep It Simple!
- Rachel Biar - Save for College with 529 Plans
- Naomi Blohm - Top 10 "Need to Knows" for 2020 Grain Marketing
- Dee Dee Chadwick - Transition Planning and the Role Women Play in it
- Ellen Duysen and Linda Emanuel - Moldy Corn to Mental Stress: Safe Flood Recovery and Disaster Planning
- J'Nan Ensz - Staying on Top of Your Bottom Line
- Susan Harris-Broomfield - Sleepless in Nebraska, Our Stress and Communicating with Those who are Stressing
- Adele Harty - When in a Pinch: Change Your Bra, Your Shoes and Your Marketing Strategy!
- Aaron Hird - Recognizing Healthy Soil
- Jim Jansen - Cropland Rental Rates and Leases in 2020,
- Anita Keys - Be an IFYE/Host an IFYE
- Melanie Knoepfle - Keeping the Farm in the Family: Basic Financial, Estate and Relationship Management
- Natalie Kovarik - Social Media and Agriculture
- Glennis McClure - Making Ag Budgets Work for You
- Tammie Ostdiek - The Most Valuable Resource
- Jay Parsons - Can We All Be Winners? Learning How to Protect Your Price
- Michele Payn - Championing Ag Handout
- Jennifer Rees, Sarah Sivits and Megan Taylor - Crop Scouting Basics, Weed Identification
- Katie Samples-Dean - Employment Law in Agriculture: Best Practices
- Robert Tigner - Farm Bill Details and Decisions
- Allan Vyhnalek - Control vs. Transfer: Emotions of Transferring the Farm, Family Negotiations
- Karla Wilke - Feeding Hungry Cows
- Randy Saner - How to Make Money with Sheep and Goats, Sheep Budget Worksheet
- Dallas Zimbelman - Farming is a Profession of Hope
- Tim Hammerich - Getting Clear on Your Impact
- Holly Hatton-Bowers & Lynn Devries - Happy in the Heart: Caring for Yourself so You can Care for Others
- Carmen Egging-Draper - Curiosity Killed the "CAT" Crop Insurance - What you have wanted to know but have never asked.
- Aaron Hird & Rebecca Hodges - Unlock the Secrets of Your Soil
- Allan Vyhnalek - "Outlaws and In-laws" the ins and outs of family communication when transitioning your farm operation
- Dallas Zimbelman - "Refinance" is not a dirty word!
- Jim Jansen -
- Pam Olsen - The Mechanics of Estate and Business Transition Planning
- Allan Vyhnalek & Austin Duerfeldt - "I want a candy bar" to " I want a new car!" The skill and art of negotiation.
- Rob Eirich - Building Stewardship Through Your Herd Health Plan
- Robert Tigner - Using Your Financial Documents to Succeed
- Sarah Sivits, Jenny Rees, & Megan Taylor -
- Linda Emanuel - Fit to Farm-We have your back!
- Brandon Dirkschneider - Confronting and anticipating the unexpected! Why long term care insurance may be relevant to the continued success of your family's farm/ranch operation.
- Glennis McClure - Figuring Farm Budgets-What price is needed to sell above break-even?
- Megahn Schafer - Food Label Fact or Fiction
- Mary Drewnoski - Cover Crops, Cattle, and Cash
- Austin Duerfeldt - Bonus, S179, and Like-Kind Exchange...Oh My! The changes and how to calculate for tax purposes.
- Bob Bertsch - Circles of Support: Building Resilience Through Relationships
- Elaine Kub -
- Jim Robb - Cattle Markets: Drivers and Issues
- Pat Jones & Sandra Barrera Fuentes - What in the World are People Eating?
- Randy Saner - Increase Your Profits With Sheep and Goats
- Katie Samples Dean - Hiring Through Firing: Legal issues when employing people in agriculture.
- Tina Barrett - Keeping Good Records...it's more than a computer program.
- Jay Parsons - Exploring Revenue Protection Options
- Deidra Werner - "Honey, Can You Stop by the FSA Office for Me?": What to Expect When Doing Business with the County Farm Service Agency Office.
- Katie Pekarek, Carla McCullough, & Sam Radford - What happens when a state agency wins a farming competition? Economic, production, and water quality implications.
- Brad Lubben - 2018 Farm Bill: Debate Over, Decisions Ahead
- Mary Loftis - Medicare Mysteries No More!
- Allan Vyhnalek - So You’ve Inherited a Farm, Now What?
- Mitch Stephenson - Range and Forage
- Anna Ferguson Leah Carson - NRCS Programs: Conservation practices help manage natural resources and the bottom line
- Ryan Sothan - Identity Fraud: Protecting Your Identity Between Work and Play
- Quicken Training for the Advanced User
- Supporting Documents
- Ruth Hambleton - Two Hands on the Wheel! Using Financial Records to Navigate Low Revenue Times
- Aaron Berger - It Costs How Much?! Using Enterprise Analysis and Unit Cost of Production to Make Management Decisions
- Greg Kruger - Dicamba from a Different Angle: the Compound that Will Change Agriculture
- Brandon Dirkschneider - Risk Management -- Are you getting what you pay for?
- Brad Lubben - Ag Policy Outlook: Managing Through Uncertainty
- Jon S Schroeder - Planning for Your Estate and Nursing Home
- Austin Duerfeldt - 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Ruth Hambleton - The Softer Side of Farm Management
- Don Adams - Planning and Managing for Dry Conditions in Range and Pasture Beef Production Systems
- Brad Heinrichs - Crop Insurance 101 & Beyond Risk Management Basics & Strategies for your Operation
- Jeff Peterson - Creating Your 2018 Marketing Plan
- Dani Wooldrik - I’ll Back Talk if I Want To!
- Living Your Best Life Now: How Rightsizing Can Change The Next Chapter of Your Life
- Jim Jansen - Trends in Nebraska Farm Real Estate and Flexible Lease Arrangements 2017-2018
- James Friesen - 50 Shades of Green: Tips to help you love your lender (or at least make the borrowing process easier)
- Jenny Rees - Pesky Palmer Amaranth and other Crop Problems in 2017
- Joseph Debban - Farm Family Emergency Care
- Hilary Maricle - How to Engage and Motivate Employees
- Tom Field - Can you hear me now?
- On the Move with Mobile Nutritious Meals; Presented by Pat Jones
- Denise Lickteig - How Can We Help You Today? USDA Farm Service Agency Loan Programs and Process
- Marilyn Schlake - Women in Agriculture - Together we Add Up!
- Elizabeth Killinger - I Want To...
- Jay Parsons - Managing Precipitation Risk for Pasture and Annual Forages
2017 Conference 2017 Conference Brochure
- Tina Barrett Cost-Control - Farm and Nonfarm
- Dave Aiken A Potpourri of Agricultural Law
- Jessica Groskopf Sell or Store? Grain Marketing
- Allan Vyhnalek Key Cash Lease Communications and Lease Provisions for 2017
- Bethany Johnston Can the Plant Feed the Cow? , Cattle Nutritional Needs Chart, Practicum Diets, Brome Pasture Forage Chart
- Lisa Liska USDA Farm Service Agency: Program Opportunities for All Farm Sizes and Types
- Steve Johnson and Bethany Johnston Who Knew Beef Cows Needed so Many Apps?
- Tina Barrett Cash Flow and Tax Planning
- Teri Edeal and Beth Hiatt“Be Loyal to the Soil! , Poster, Cover Crop Economics Disking, Cover Crop Economics No Till
- Jay Parsons Smart Choices , Smart Choices Handout
- Tina Chasek Harvesting Happiness: What Ag Women Need to Know About Depression , Stress Scale, Depression Scale
2016 Conference2016 Conference Program
- Bethany Johnston - Body Condition Score Your Pastures
- Katja Koehler-Cole, Daren Redfearn, Roger Elmore - Cover Crop Management
- Brad Lubben - Understanding the Farm Program and the Farm Income Safety Net
- Iuliia Protopop - Role and Influence of Women in Family Farm Transition
2015 Conference2015 Conference Program
- Tina Barrett - 2015: Minimizing Losses Instead of Maximizing Profits
- Peg Brune - Computerized Farm Records
- Brad Lubben - Farm Program Decisions and Analysis
- Ashley Mueller - Preparing Yourself and Your Business for Disaster, Notes
- Robert Tigner - Grain Marketing 101
- Monte Vandeveer - Pasture Insurance and Forage Disaster Payments
- Allan Vyhnalek - So You Inherited a Farm...Now What?
2014 Conference2014 Conference Program
- Carol O'Neill - Radon in Your Home
- Cory Walters - Crop Insurance and Marketing: Together the Most Successful Tool
- Brad Lubben - A New Farm Bill for a New Era?
- Peg Brune - Basic Farm Recordkeeping: Going Back to Basics
- Pat Jones/Amy Timmerman - Herbs and Things Spices Growing and Cooking Healthy with Fresh Herbs, Fresh Herbs in International Cuisine
- Corey Brubaker - How Healthy is my Soil?" An Introduction to Soil Health
- Steve Young - Current Issues in Weed Management
- Marilyn Schlake/Carroll Welte - The Muck and Mire of Shifting Sand! - Affordable Care Act Flyer for ACA
- Brent Plugge/Rick Rasby - There's an App for Your Ranch
- Jennifer Hansen and Jackie Steffen - Ag-Citing Science!
- Jessica Johnson - Marketing Lingo 101
- Monte Vandeveer - Crop Insurance and Risk Management in 2014
- Kate Brooks - Beef Cattle Outlook and the Economics of Restocking the Herd
- Jenny Rees - Biotech Crops and Consumer Concerns, Steps for Using Twitter
- Allan Vyhnalek - It's Not Your Grandparent's Farm Anymore
- David Lott and Carol Schwarz - From Garden to Plate
2013 Conference2013 WIA Conference Program
- Jennifer Hansen 4-H Outcome Report
- Jennifer Hansen AgCiting
- Bethany Johnston Decision Making Tools
- LaDonna Wert Farm Stress Coping Tips
- Terri Post FSA Farm Bill
- Becky Wiiest FSA Farm Loan Programs
- Joe Hawbaker Estate Planning Basics
- Joe Hawbaker Estate Planning Worksheet
- Brad Lubben The Farm Bill
- Jenny Nixon Preserving Family Heritage in the Digital Age Presentation
- Jenny Nixon Building Your Brand in Rural Business
- Rick Funston Nutrition for Cattle Reproduction
- Carol O'Neill Taking Care of the Girls
- Carol O'Neill Good Healthy Skin
- Roy Smith Personalities and Profits Handout
- Rick Rasby Ruminant Nutrition for Cattle
- Monte Vandeveer Crop Insurance 2013
- Al Vyhnalek and Carrie Duffy Cash Leases
- Al Vyhnalek Land Values
- Jenny Rees and Chuck Burr The Water Optimizer
- Jo Bek 10 Characteristics that are Unique to the Horse
- Jill Brown and Jana Kruger - Living in a Checklist World
- Peg Brune - Computer Farm Records Disaster Plan Favorite Websites
- Paul Burgener - What in the World!
- Connie Hancock - Direct Marketing Food Online
- Tamra Jackson - Corn and Soybean Disease
- Wade Johannes - Marketing 101 Marketing 201
- Bethany Johnston and Debra Schroeder - Diabetes Carb Counting Guide Recipe Booklet Recipe Makeovers
- Brad Lubben - Changing Farm Policies
- Linda Kleinschmit - SARE
- Jenny Nixon/Cindy Tusler - Add a Little Green to Your Green Determining Pasture Rents Pasture Leases Pasture Rental Arrangement
- Terri Post - Riding the Wave Risky Business
- Rick Rasby - Forages
- Marvin Rhodes - Crop Insurance 2012
- Matt Spangler - EPD Basics Nebguide 1 Nebguide 2
- Amy Timmerman - Identifying Veggie Disease
- Rosemary Anderson - Heifer Breeding
- Jenny Rees - Crop Science: CSI
- Alane Nelson - Understanding NRCS Maps
- Claudia Stevenson - Which Way is North?